Today I learned that my sister’s wedding is taking place this October, not next October the way I had originally understood. In fact, it’s taking place the same week as Another Star‘s scheduled release date. Even though it’s not like I’m planning the wedding or undertaking its execution, considering the stressful amount of post-release bug-hunting and publicity I expect to have to keep on top of, 21 October is just not going to work—especially if I’m on the road that particular day driving my grandparents up here!
This leaves me with two options.
1. Move the Release Date Back
While this gives me more time to polish and promote the game, it also presents all-new problems. It’s looking like I’m going to be moving sometime before the end of the year, probably in November, and there’s no way I’m going to do a move and a game release at the same time. Not to mention moving the release even closer to the end of the year puts it in conflict with year-end sales at places like Steam and GoG.com. I’m not sure how a low-profile release like mine would fare when people are busy saving their money for snagging titles bigger than mine at 80% off.
So, early next year then? That’d give me time to do additional cool stuff like a Nintendo Power style strategy guide in PDF format, akin to the kind they put out for Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior on the NES back in the day. But that’s also really postponing a project I’m ready to be finished with. The fate of Another Star and what comes soon after—if anything—is seriously going to determine whether Vision Riders continues to exist in any form. I’d rather get that over with sooner than later.
Which leads me directly to the next option.
2. Move the Release Date Up
It’s a possibility, but it’s a slim one. I could move the release date forward by a week or two. I’m not particularly fond of this option. 21 October is already a close shave as it is. September is nearing its halfway point, and I still have the last dungeon, final boss, and ending to design and code. I would have precious little time left to refine the script, get playtesting feedback, fix bugs and typos, and do all the promotion a title like this needs to get noticed.
Still, it is a real possibility, and one I’m seriously considering. Once the fate of the game’s release is known for sure, I’ll post about it here. Until then, assume the game is coming out later rather than sooner.
I’m really sorry about this. If the game gets delayed, I’ll try to find some way to make up for it.