I stumbled across an article by Derek Yu of Aquaria and Spelunky fame, in which he shared a surprisingly insightful grain of enlightenment:
We’ve all had that feeling about at least one game, comic book, movie, etc., that comes out: “Gee, I could do better than this! This is overrated.” But it’s important to take a step back and realize that, hey, they put in the time to finish a project and I haven’t. That’s at least one thing they might be better than me at, and it’s probably why they have the recognition I don’t! If you treat finishing like a skill, rather than simply a step in the process, you can acknowledge not only that it’s something you can get better at, but also what habits and thought processes get in your way.
I must admit, looking at it from this perspective does kind of change the way I look at other people’s projects!
Here’s some more screenshots from the latest build of Junction!
Junction is an adventure game. The key to making progress is to investigate your surroundings, find out what you have to work with, then determine how to use the things at your disposal in order to move closer to completing the goals set for you.
The game has a rich story, steeped in an atmosphere of suspense.
You’ll need to interact with the other characters in the narrative in order to move forward. As you explore more of the game’s world, new conversation topics will appear.
In the interest of making it look like I’m actually doing something productive and useful to society, I am posting a screenshot from our upcoming adventure/puzzle game which is
taking forever totally almost finished.
I’m hoping to have it out by the end of May. Maybe even May of this year.
So I added a function in the code that allows the player to skip scenes by tapping the Y button on the controller. I boot up the game to test this and the intro scene for the first level begins to play. My immediant reaction is “Ah man, I’ve got to sit through this scene again so I can test the button that lets me skip this scene!”
While plodding along in the production of AetherFall, I’ve been working quite a bit using the game’s internal editor to start piecing together the levels. Instead of wasting my time cobbling an overly complicated GUI together for something the player will never see, I took the easy way out. Fore example, if I’m placing a bit of scenery and want to scale it, I hold down the S key on the keyboard and scroll up on the mouse scrollwheel. In the editor, the scroll wheel does the lion’s share of everything that isn’t simple dragging and dropping.
Only, for some reason, things wouldn’t always work how I wanted them. Continuing on with the scaling example, whenever I’d scroll up it would make scenery smaller instead of larger. “Oh,” I thought to myself, “I put ++ where I wanted –.” (In the C, C++, and C# programming languages these increase and decrease a value by one increment respectively.) So I switched them around and went on my way. Still, I seemed to be making this mistake an awful lot whenever I added new features to the editor. Every time I’d hold the key to alter something, scrolling up would decrease the value while scrolling down would increase it. “Oh bother, I’ve done it again.” And so I would go to fix it each time. But even for me, I seemed to be slipping up an awful lot.
It wasn’t until today, some weeks after getting the first parts of the editor together, that I realized why I was making the same mistake over and over again. Put simply, I wasn’t making a mistake at all, at least not in the code for the editor. After skimming through the code for handling the mouse my true mistake became clear: I’d coded the game to signal scrolling up on the scrollwheel as scrolling down and vice versa. 🙁
Just completed (for the most part) the scripting language for AetherFall. It’s complete with variables and if-then-else blocks and such, which should prove useful for writing the game’s events. I’ve never completed any sort of scripting engine before, so this has been a real eye-opener for me. I now both understand and appreciate programming languages a lot more because of it. XD
Surprisingly, it wasn’t as hard as I was dreading it would be, either. Granted, I still have some things to test/debug/clean-up, but the hardest part was simply working out how everything should flow.
Sorry I haven’t been getting Swordmaster Odyssey up lately. I’m hoping to get the comic back on track in a few more weeks, so don’t fret too much. In the meantime, though, I’ve been dabbling in programming again, playing around with C# and Microsoft’s XNA.
This is a game prototype for a platformer-RTS hybrid I put together over the past week. Not sure if anything will come of it, or if I’ll have the time and/or gumption to continue working on it, but thus far it’s been an interesting endeavor.